Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Using Eclipse as an IntelliJ addict

After 3 solid years of IntelliJ use, I've spent the last two months using Eclipse full-time.
The only two features I've really really missed:
  • The code generator for equals() and hashCode(). If there is such a feature, 5 minutes of searching didn't find it. Perhaps I need to install a plugin. Besides, IntelliJ's implementation is rock-solid and easily accessible - it's just on Alt-Insert (bizarrely Ctrl-N on the Mac). Even when I had a few medium sized classes to knock out equals() for, it wasn't enough for me to install IntelliJ.
  • Ctrl-Alt-Shift-N, that "browse for symbol" thing. When I'm trying to figure out what's going on in a velocity template this is a fantastic feature, and this one was enough for me to install IntelliJ in parallel. My problem was solved within a couple of minutes.
Although there were no other features I really missed, the editor still responds slowly and feels cumbersome. To me it's years behind IntelliJ. Both very impressive tools, but my preference hasn't changed.

6 Comments:

At 7:43 pm, Blogger Stacy Curl said...

Does IntelliJ generate an equals method using an instanceof check ? if so then it isn't rock solid at all.

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-1999/jw-01-object-p2.html

Eclipse 3.2M5 supports generation of equals without using instanceof
http://www.eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/t64643.html

 
At 9:21 am, Blogger Premanand C said...

IntelliJ uses the getClass() method when generating the equals method. So we should be fine.
However, there's much much more in IntelliJ that I miss when working in Eclipse. But we don't want to start the IntelliJ vs. Eclipse war yet again, do we? :-)

 
At 5:16 pm, Blogger Alistair Jones said...

Cool, thanks for the extra thoughts about equals(). It's amazing how many different ropes it gives with which to hang yourself.

 
At 3:22 pm, Blogger James said...

I think codesugar might help. It's a plugin for the equals/hash etc stuff. Might even do the right thing

J

 
At 7:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eclipse 3.2 has an equals/hashcode generator under the "Source" context menu.

 
At 1:32 pm, Blogger Patrick Kua said...

Alistair! Ha. I stumbled across this trying to find the Browse for Symbol thing too. I'm still looking for an answer for eclipse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home